- At least 700 children under 5 die each day from malnutrition.
- More than half a million people suffer from malnutrition in South Africa.
- At least 896,600 children could die if malnutrition is not eradicated by 2015.
- Currently, over 3.7 million people, including almost 740,000 children under five, in the country are at high risk of food insecurity. Many are already resorting to eating so-called “famine foods”, wild foods such as bulbs and grasses.
- UNCEF’s immediate goal is to treat more than 150,000 severely malnourished children under five.